This year's UW Department of Emergency Medicine annual Research Showcase on May 7, 2020 was conducted virtually (due to COVID-19) and featured groundbreaking research from faculty, residents, and students.
Research topics included population health, point-of-care ultrasound, ECMO, trauma resuscitation, and substance use disorder.
- Callan Fockele, MD, MS, R4 presented twice this year. One presentation concerned research about medication for opioid use disorder, and the other presented research gathered while, in concert with the Māori, conducting a health audit of their kaumātua (or elderly) homes in order to address inequity and identify strategies to improve the health of their housing.
- Braiden Eilers, MD, MPH, R3, presented research on mental health screening outcomes in a refugee camp in Uganda.
- Gabriel Morales, MD, R4 presented research on early identification of cardiogenic shock by ultrasound.
- Emily Bartlett, MD, MS, R4 presented research on resuscitation.
- Daniel Shouldice, MD, R3 presented research on ECMO.
- Alexander St. John, MD presented research on early shedding of adhesive platelet surface receptors in trauma patients.