Dr. Stern is the head of the Department of Emergency Medicine that includes the Harborview and University of Washington Medical Center Emergency Departments. She is also an active researcher in the area of resuscitation science, specifically evaluating novel therapeutic strategies in the early phases following traumatic injury with hemorrhagic shock.
Dr. Stern earned her bachelor’s degree from Tufts University and her M.D. from Case Western Reserve University. She completed her residency in emergency medicine at the University of Cincinnati, followed by a research fellowship in resuscitation science. After 17 years as faculty at the University of Michigan, she moved to the University of Washington in 2009 to lead the Department of Emergency Medicine.
She is board certified in emergency medicine and has served on the board of directors of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine.
Education & Training
- MD, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, (1987)
- Internship and Residency, Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, (1991)
- Fellowship, Emergency Medicine Research, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, (1993)
Research & Clinical Interests
- Hemorrhagic Shock
- Brain Trauma
- Academic Development and Medical Education
- Career Development
- Resuscitation from Traumatic Hemorrhagic Shock
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Medical Education