The mission of the University of Washington Department of Emergency Medicine is to provide high-quality patient care, medical education, and research.
Read about our commitment to diversity and caring for the underserved.
The UW Department of Emergency Medicine boasts two cutting edge Emergency Departments in Seattle. Harborview Medical Center (HMC) Emergency Department is located in downtown Seattle while the University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC) Emergency Department is located in the heart of the UW main campus just off Lake Washington. The emergency departments at both UWMC and HMC serve a diverse population from the local and regional communities.
- Harborview Medical Center is the only Level I adult and pediatric trauma and burn center serving Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho, and has a specific mission to care for the community's most vulnerable patients.
- The University of Washington Medical Center is a tertiary/quaternary care center, providing specialized care in areas such as cardiology, high-risk pregnancy and neonatal intensive care, oncology, orthopedics and organ transplantation.
The University of Washington is the most innovative public university in the U.S. (#5 in the world), and our department is dedicated to promoting excellence in the practice of Emergency Medicine through collaborative efforts to discover, develop, and disseminate strategies for improving care of acutely ill and injured patients.
Areas of research include:
- Cardiac arrest and prehospital care
- Trauma and hemorrhage control
- Sepsis and ARDS
- International healthcare delivery
- Environmental health
- Development and evaluation of health systems
- Point-of-care ultrasound
- Novel ultrasound technology, techniques, and applications
- Workplace and provider safety
- Emergency care delivery and quality of care
Our award-winning faculty specialize in a wide variety of focuses within the field of Emergency Medicine:
- Emergency Medical Services
- Cardiac Arrest and Cardiopulmonary Resusciation
- Critical Care
- Airway Management
- Aeromedical Retrieval Medicine (Partnering with Airlift Northwest)
- Systems of Emergency Care (Partnering with Seattle Fire Department)
- Emergency (POC) Ultrasound
- Population Health: Global, Rural, and Community
- Emergency Care in Low and Middle-Income Countries
- Disaster Medicine