MD, MEd, FACEP
Dr. Franzen is an emergency physician and our Associate Program Director. He treats patients in the Emergency Department at both Harborview Medical Center and the University of Washington Montlake. Among his many duties as an Associate Program Director, Dr. Franzen oversees the Rural rotations, the procedure labs, and our assessment and evaluation programs.
Dr. Franzen’s focus of research is in educational assessment and the transition from medical student to resident. He is interested in helping to smooth the transition from medical student to resident. Dr. Franzen was a member of the group the developed the National Clinical Assessment Tool in Emergency Medicine (NCAT-EM). He writes questions for the NBME. He receives funding from the American Medical Association and the Emergency Medicine Foundation.
education & training
- MD, University of Michigan (2001)
- Internship and Residency, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center (2004)
- Emergency Medicine Foundation Teaching Fellowship, American College of Emergency Physicians (2007)
- Masters of Education, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center (2008)
- Bruce Gilliland Award for Excellence in Teaching (2019)
research & clinical interests
- Assessment & Evaluation
- Undergraduate Medical Education
- Graduate Medical Education