Dr. Gartner is an emergency physician at Northwest Hospital and Harborview Medical Center. She received her medical degree from The Ohio State University and completed her residency training at the University of Washington where she served as Chief Resident. Dr. Gartner is currently completing an Advanced Emergency Medicine Ultrasonography Fellowship through the University of Washington.
Her career interests include using point-of-care ultrasound in austere environments and ultrasound education of medical students, residents, EMS, and rural providers. She is a Flight Physician for Airlift Northwest and working to provide Sonography with Air Transport (SWAT) training for ALNW nurses.
education & training
- MD, The Ohio State University, College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio (2019)
- Residency, University of Washington Department of Emergency Medicine Residency Program, Seattle, WA (2023)
research & clinical interests
- Diagnosing and improving time to pericardiocentesis via point-of-care ultrasound
- Creating and publishing National Park Service EMS protocols
- Research and design of portable ultrasound machines
- Sonography with Air Transport (SWAT) Training for Airlift Nurses
- POCUS education for remote clinicians
- Gartner, S. A Woman’s How-To: Staying Hardcore and Hygienic in the Outdoors. Wilderness Medical Society Magazine. December 06, 2021. https://wms.org/magazine/1333/women-in-…. Accessed August 1st, 2022.
- Bachmann D, Gartner S, King A, Kman N, Bowman MJ, Barrie M. “Emergency Medicine Curriculum Utilizing the Flipped Classroom Method: Environmental Emergencies”. JETem 2019. 4(2): C1-47. https://doi.org/10.21980/J8TP8Z.
- Gartner S, Olson JK, McCulloh CJ, Navarro JB, Mashburn-Warren L, Goodman S, Besner G. "Utilizing The Benefits Of Biofilms: Prevention Of Necrotizing Enterocolitis Using A Novel Probiotic Delivery System". The Florida Pediatrician 2016; 35(4); 14.
- Olson J, Deming L, King D, Rager T, Gartner S, Huibregtse N, Moss L, Besner G: Single Visit Surgery for Pediatric Ambulatory Surgical Procedures: A Satisfaction and Cost Analysis. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2018;53(1):81-85. doi:10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2017.10.021
- McCulloh CJ, Olson JK, Wang Y, Vu J, Gartner S, Besner GE. Evaluating the efficacy of different types of stem cells in preserving gut barrier function in necrotizing enterocolitis. J Surg Res. 2017;214:278-285. doi:10.1016/j.jss.2017.03.026